Have a Happy Father's Day
By Scam Awareness |
June 17, 2016
Father's Day is for friends, family and fun! The past few years, the BBB has encouraged consumers to read the fine print before making purchases. Be sure to keep these tips in mind to make the most out your holiday!
- Gift Cards and Certificates: Make sure to read the fine print! Some gift cards can only be used in-store or expire after a certain period of time. Check to make sure that the card or certificate you purchase meets your needs.
- Electronics: Does your Dad love the newest and greatest tech gear and electronics? If you're planning on purchasing an electronic device, be sure to wrap it in its original packaging! The BBB states, "Many electronics stores require the original packaging in order to process returns or exchanges."
- Check the refund policy and expiration date: Make sure to carefully read over refund and exchange policies before purchasing a gift. Some stores and service providers may have strict policies that could prevent you from receiving a full refund.
- Recreational Rentals: Father's Day is a great opportunity to enjoy some outdoor fun! Before you rent outdoor equipment like ATVs, kayaks, or canoes, be sure to fully inspect it and take note of any previous damages. Also, it is important to carefully read over any rental or insurance information.
- Guides, Tours and Classes: Thinking about purchasing a guided tour or class for your Dad? The BBB recommends that you ask questions about reservations, costs, and taxes to get the most out of your gift. To read the full list, visit the BBB.
- Check the Website: The BBB is encouraging online shoppers to "check the URL link to make sure it starts with 'https://' (the 's' means it is secure). Also look for a small padlock icon usually located at the corner of the URL bar. These symbols tell shoppers that a website is secure for making purchases."
Have a Happy Father's Day and stay safe!